What is the difference between a Separation Agreement and a Binding Financial Agreement? Is it known by any other names?


When we refer to Separation Agreements, we are also referring to Binding Financial Agreements. They mean the exact same thing.

In the relevant Australian legislation (the Family Law Act), a Separation Agreement is referred to as a “Financial Agreement”. We have titled our Separation Agreement templates as such.

Separation Agreements can also be known as Property Settlement Agreements, Divorce Financial Settlement Agreements, Marital Settlement Agreements, Legal Separation Agreements, and Financial Separation Agreements.